Business Development Manager
The Business Development team will focus on :
- Projects with new or existing customers that require substantial investment by ALPLA
- Projects that focus on new countries / territories including any kind of M&A activities
- Projects that involve inhouse / nearby plants
- Projects that involve new technologies
Key strategic customer projects identified by leadership team.
The BDM will be responsible for the co-ordination and realisation of new business opportunities across the SSA region in order that ALPLA SSA realises medium to long term growth ambitions.
- The BDM will be responsible, for growing share of wallet with existing customers, to use existing capability / capacity to grow in new products / with new customers and grow the regional footprint & market share of ALPLA SSA by establishing new sites & new technologies with new and existing customers
- The BDM will be required to plan for short term / medium term and long-term approaches as opportunities will differ greatly in terms of complexity, time frame and quantum of investment. Understand business capability and strategy in order to develop potential opportunities that are aligned.
- Understand the market by territory to understand the customer & competitive environment
- Perform preliminary investigation / fact finding / store checks etc to sense check the opportunity
- Prioritise opportunities based on likelihood of success, complexity, investment required & size of prize
- Co-ordinate & guide BD team to ensure that they focus on correct opportunities and ultimately deliver the required growth
- Work closely with Sales team to ensure that new opportunities are aligned with any existing business & customer strategy
- Work with technical / packaging / purchasing teams locally & HQ to develop a scope of work
- Using standard ALPLA tools & potentially other methods to develop financial models to properly evaluate opportunities
- Understand the commercial levers that can be used to develop a bankable opportunity
- Develop commercial proposals and get agreement both internally & with customers
- Where necessary work with legal resource to translate customer agreements into contracts / HOA etc as required.
- Ensure successful handover of projects to Sales team post award and reasonable start-up time
- Required to be present at the different locations and travel to different countries
- National Diploma or Bachelors Degree in Sales/Marketing/Economics or other related field, Post graduate qualification would be an added advantage.
- 10 years sales experience, preferably in the plastic/packaging or FMCG manufacturing industry
- An affinity for numbers and technical aspects of product manufacture
- Good command of English with excellent presentation skills
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to build strong professional relationships
- Ability to manage challenging tasks with a high degree of self-responsibility
- Ability to manage multiple projects to ensure that projects are kept on track and commercialised as soon as is practical
- Good knowledge of MS Office software
- Ability to travel within and outside of South Africa as and when required
- The Business Development will not be responsible for ALL customer projects or new business. Where new business / incremental business is simply a matter of adding an additional SKU to a portfolio or selling an existing product (e.g. preform / closure ) or adding less complex new products to existing customers’ portfolio , these will be led by the sales team
- Market related salary
- Global exposure
- pension/medical aid /eap